Sunday, October 9, 2016

This Week in Math!

October 9, 2016


This week in Math class, we took some time to look at how mistakes can actually help us learn! We learned about growth mindset vs. a fixed mindset and began to see how this affects our learning. Here are two great videos to watch:






Students learned Jo Boaler’s 7 Math Norms for class:
Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 2.02.54 PM.png


After watching the videos and then making a few mistakes in Math class, students reflected on their learning. Here is what they had to say:


“I stopped myself from getting frustrated when I made a mistake and started thinking of ways to improvise.”

“When I make a mistake I am now determined to get the right answer and try other ways to solve the problem. Now I know what to do if I get a problem wrong. Also now I know not to rush a math problem.”


“You should never be afraid to ask someone in class for help.”


“It’s different from the other math classes because I look at the questions I’m doing and I push myself more.”


“I now ask for help and when I get help I learn off my mistakes. I know the answer because I got pointers.”

Students are understanding that by thinking deeply about the topics we are learning about help everyone learn more. Believing in yourself is a key to learning! I hope that this helps all students know and understand that we are here to help them grow and learn, which may mean trying and trying again!