Monday, November 28, 2016

Thankful


The middle school participated in a “Thankful Meal” on Tuesday,  November 22nd. Each house hosted a turkey meal (with all the fixings,) where students and teachers worked together to prep, set-up, and clean. As a House, the middle schoolers sat down to eat with their peers and teachers.



Before digging into our meal, we encouraged students to consider what they were thankful for, offering crayons for them to express their thoughts on our makeshift tablecloths.

I would like to spend some time reflecting on some of the things that I personally have to be grateful for.




I am thankful to work in a school that puts students first. I have built wonderful relationships with the eclectic group of children I am lucky enough to call my students. They help to remind me everyday why I became a teacher.

I am thankful to work with faculty and staff who understand that we are growing together as a team. We all have our idiosyncrasies, and we may not always see eye to eye on every aspect of our craft, but we are a united team that works tirelessly to provide a safe, respectful and engaged learning environment for our students AND for each other.

I am thankful for an administration that keeps me humble. With each new initiative that is introduced, I am encouraged to go outside of my comfort zone and fine tune my methods.

I am thankful to live and work in a beautiful place, where I am greeted every morning by the White Mountains. My daily drive across state lines is the most peaceful commute I’ve ever had, and it offers time for much needed contemplation.

And, of course, I am thankful for my family. I am lucky enough to share a hallway at Hazen with my charismatic husband. This year, we welcomed our beautiful son into the world and I hardly remember what life was like without him.

I encourage you to take a few minutes to consider what you are thankful for… it's a beautiful life and we ought to appreciate it.