Thursday, October 1, 2015

#Teambuilding

Building relationships within learning communities is the top priority at Hazen.  When we begin each school year, teachers strive to build trusting communities within each class, team and TSA.  As a middle school, we constantly combine the intrinsic need for socialization during this age range with the belief that students will do better academically if they feel supported in their learning groups.



To catalyze these deep trusting relationships, we voyaged to Hosmer Point in Craftsbury to get students out of their comfort zones, get them collaborating on problem solving and #teambuilding together on the beautiful mountainside.


At the end of the day, we asked students to reflect on their day.  We asked them a couple basic questions, but the best question we asked them was

"How did you grow today?"

"And it helped me grow by working with different people I usually don't work with and having the opportunity to work and talk to others."

"Something I learned yesterday was that some people act very differently away from school"

"I grew with teamwork. I took a risk walking alone."

"A way I grew at Hosmer was I learned how to communicate and work in a group of people that I don't know"

"The way I grew as a person is how I changed and helped out people I wouldn't normally help and play with people I wouldn't normally play with. I'm glad we went but we should stay the night next time."